*Visa sponsorship available*
carwow is the most convenient, stress-free way to find and buy a new car, at a price you can be confident in.
We’re a driven, energetic startup with a team of 160+ based in central London and Munich. Our team are relentlessly driven and constantly asking ourselves how we can make carwow better, and we’re looking for proactive, motivated software developers who want to help us change the future of car buying.
About the tech team
We have a number of new and exciting projects in the pipeline and need help in solving interesting and impactful technical challenges with a range of contexts — from infrastructure to the front-end.
As a team our mission is to create a technology driven company where we are empowered to use our skills to solve difficult problems and scale the product.
To achieve this, We are looking for an experienced Principal Developer to join our growing engineering team to lead the way carwow creates software which is changing the automotive industry. Successful candidates will work with our team in a full stack position; part of one of the best small companies to work for in the UK.
We believe that diversity of experience, whether that be personal or professional, contributes to a broader collective perspective and will consistently lead to a better company with more innovative solutions and products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team and be more inclusive wherever we can in order for people to consider becoming a part of it.
Why should you join carwow?
- We work quickly and you’ll be able to have a direct impact on the product — pushing code to production within your first day
- You will be working with a company who are passionate about quality — TDD means a lot to us. Whilst delivery is important, we don’t sacrifice on quality
- You will work within a truly collaborative, pragmatic, team where you can learn from some highly-experienced developers from many different professional backgrounds
- We’ve got a team culture of open-mindedness that allows you to have your opinions and insights be heard,considered and tried
- We’re a growing team so you’ll have plenty of opportunities to grow your own skills and work your way towards whatever career ambitions you may have
- We promote continuous learning and don’t pigeonhole our developers to just knowing Ruby, you will be able to attend conferences for different types of technology such as Elm Europe, ElixirLDN, dotCSS / JS, Full Stack Fest and Strangeloop
- We care about being a happy and balanced team
- You will have the opportunity to gain more experience around mentoring and coaching junior developers should you wish to
- You will be working for a technology driven company, where the main stakeholders have a very good understanding of the product development process and nuances of software development. One of our co-founders is the CTO who is very passionate about software engineering and does a great job of educating the company about how exactly building software with agility works
- You will be exposed to the entire product development process, allowing you to develop skills outside of software development
- We have challenging scalability and are growing everyday. Currently there are around 3 million visitors a month on average to the website - having grown from 2 million in the last 6 months!
- There’s lots to do; we are building tonnes of new features all the time and still defining what carwow is as a product
- Every Friday, the engineering team is given the freedom to take a break from the backlog and work on something of interest that contributes to the technical maturity and stability of our codebase - Backlog free Fridays
- You can get involved with a number of conferences that we sponsor/ run/ host such as Brighton Ruby Conference, Ruby Hacknight, Codebar and London Elixir Dojo
You should apply if:
- You care about software excellence
- You know and want to learn more about software best practices such as refactoring, clean code, domain driven design, etc
- You understand why testing software is useful, and try to write well tested code as much as possible
- You can demonstrate a good understanding of web technologies
- You enjoy challenges across the entire stack
- You are pragmatic in your approach to writing software (e.g. you take context into consideration, and don’t follow rules blindly)
- You enjoy working with others
- You want to work in highly collaborative and cross-functional teams
- Our product teams are cross functional and typically consist of full stack developers, designers, PMs, and insight analysts
- The teams are focussed around reaching core objectives for the year. Some of our objectives for this year include: launching a leasing proposition, increasing sales of in-stock cars, increasing dealership groups engagement
- Significant experience of working with Ruby on Rails or similar languages in a commercial environment
- Exceptional engineering skills and a thorough understanding of what's required in building scalable software
- Proven track record of thinking through and delivering technical solutions for business problems
- Extensive experience of working as part of an Agile product team
- Experience of leading projects and team of developers
- Experience of mentoring mid to senior developers in career progression
- Good communication skills - you can you get your idea across verbally in a manner that developers, analysts, product managers and designers will all understand.
- A brand new laptop — developers usually use Macbook Pros or Dell XPS 13s with their favourite flavour of Linux (feel free to ask for what allows you to do your job best)
- A budget towards peripherals and equipment (most of our developers end up getting mechanical keyboards with theirs)
- Want training? We’ve got weekly German language classes, presentation skills training, management training, yoga classes - we’re also teaching the rest of the company how to code!
- Flexible working offered
- Full-time and part-time positions available
- Dog friendly office
- Competitive salary and you'll receive equity in the business
- 25 days holiday, a training budget and work from home 1 day a week
- A chance to work in a truly data-driven environment. We A/B test extensively and data is core to our decision making process
- Get to work with a highly experienced team on a high traffic site
- Continuous delivery - every push to master goes straight to production (assuming the tests have passed!)
- Regular team lunches, free fruit and fancy coffee on tap (and tea!)
- Annual company ski trip - this year we went to Austria!
- A sociable team with monthly office-wide events - check out our Instagram
- Friday wine/beers
- Netball, football, tennis and dodgeball teams