Senior Ruby on Rails Developer (m/w)
We are looking for a Senior level Ruby on Rails Developer to help build a new engineering team in our office in Munich. As the first RoR Developer for us in Germany, you will be working closely with our established team in London whilst helping us set up high standards for our team here. This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial Software Engineer who is passionate about tech and likes to see the impact that they can make to an already successful product.
What we do
carwow is the most convenient, stress-free way to find and buy a new car, at a price you can be confident in. carwow aims to solve the major pain points that buyers and dealers experience in the buying process, putting them in a more powerful position than ever before. Offering buyers crucial price confidence, a more convenient hassle free way to find and buy the car they want, and an altogether better buying experience. And it's great news for dealers too. Through carwow, our dealer partners sell more cars than they could in the showroom alone, while reducing cost inefficiencies and increasing stock turnover. This means they can pass on great prices to carwow buyers.
We’re a driven, energetic startup with a team of 140+ based in central London and Munich. We are backed by Europe’s leading VCs including:
- Balderton Capital (Betfair, LOVEFiLM, Citymapper, MySQL)
- Accel (Facebook, Spotify, Dropbox, Groupon)
- Vitruvian Partners (JustEat, Skyscanner, Trustpilot)
- Episode 1 (Zoopla, Shazam, LOVEFiLM)
- Samos (Ocado, Betfair, PKR)
We’ve raised over £48m in funding since we launched, so we’re growing fast. We’re relentlessly driven and constantly asking ourselves how we can make carwow better.
What about the product team?
We're growing and we need to add additional skills and thinking to our German market requirements. We like people who speak up and want to work within a truly collaborative environment. You’ll be collaborating with people from different departments in Munich and London, who make up your product team. So, that means you’ll be working with Product Managers, Data Scientists/ Analysts, Developers, and Designers.
Our Development teams work within a fluid Agile environment. Well structured, readable code and a strong emphasis on TDD are key to us here. Our sites have over 2 million unique visitors per month, usability, data science & analytics and performance are key to us in order to remain competitive in the modern tech scene.
We are pro-OpenSource here and actively encourage our Developers to keep up to date with the latest tech trends. We can’t promise that you’ll be working with the latest Angular framework or whatever might be trending at the time but if it makes sense for the business and it will improve our products then our question is “Why not?”.
Work closely with the Product Manager and Managing Director and make suggestions on how we could improve our product with modern practices.
Continuous learning is extremely important to us and we’re keen to learn and have regular study groups - at the moment we are running an internal weekly Elixir coding dojo.
Backlog-free FridaysEvery Friday, our team of Developers are given the freedom to take a break from the backlog and work on something of interest that contributes to the technical maturity and stability of our codebase. This could be by refactoring a particularly tricky part of the codebase, exploring a new framework to solve some our existing problems or even developing a new tool to help make life easier for the team
- A technical degree (bachelor, master, diploma)
- Significant previous experience of working with Ruby on Rails or similar languages in a commercial environment
- Proven experience of TDD
- Proven track record of thinking through and delivering technical solutions for business problems
- Experience of working as part of an Agile product team
- Experience of leading projects
- Experience of building and scaling web applications
- Willingness to travel to London regularly to catch up with UK team members
- Good communication skills - fluent in German & English
If you’re prepared to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in you will love the opportunity that this role will give you.
- Equity in the company
- Competitive pay
- Small & cosy office in the Glockenbach area of Munich
- International engineering team in London and a thriving, entrepreneurial company culture
- Generous holiday
- Regular team lunches, free fruit and fancy coffee on tap (and tea!)
- Company ski trip
- A sociable team with monthly office events