At carwow, we’re aiming to create the best car-buying experience in the world. Buying a car is normally the 2nd biggest financial decision people face (after buying a house), and it’s a complex one. There are many issues people face throughout the process, and we aim to fix them.
We’re a driven, energetic startup with a team of 200+ based in London, Munich and Madrid. We are backed by Daimler and some of Europe’s leading VCs and have raised over £75m in funding since we launched, so we’re growing fast. We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can make carwow better, so if you’re curious, motivated, and want to help us change the future of car buying, get in touch. It’s the chance to be at the start of something huge. We're not all petrolheads, we're just relentlessly driven and passionate about creating the best car buying experience for consumers.
We’re looking for an engineering manager to join and support our expanding team. You’ll be working closely with the Head of Engineering, supporting our 35 (and growing) engineers across 8 cross-functional product teams.
It’s an exciting opportunity to join a growing company and have a real impact on the culture and environment as we go along this journey. You’ll have an opportunity to influence everything from daily engineering practices to defining our future engineering organisation structure, and everything in between.
At carwow, we value engineering managers who are keen to stay close to the ground and the product and see themselves as there to support teams, rather than lead them from above.
We value creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and are actively working on building this. As a leader on our team, we expect that you will contribute actively to this aspect of our culture.
What you’ll be doing
- Support multiple product teams and be accountable for their overall delivery capabilities
- Line manage all the engineers on these product teams
- Have regular one-to-ones with engineers
- Help them grow both as engineers and as individuals
- Encourage regular feedback
- Develop an accurate picture of the challenges facing the various teams and help them define options to resolve them
- Work with the Head of Engineering to improve various processes (as defined by our current OKRs), e.g.:
- Maintain a rewarding work environment that helps us retain and attract talented engineers
- Continually refine and improve recruitment processes
- Evangelise new technologies and best practices across all the engineering team
- Work on maintaining an emotionally safe and rewarding environment
- Help build the carwow engineering brand in the wider tech community
- Represent the team in wider product meetings and planning
- Develop and maintain relationships with the other departments in carwow and facilitate effective communication and sharing across the organisation
- Work closely with our internal talent team to grow and develop a more diverse and inclusive engineering team
Why should you join carwow?
- We care about being a happy and balanced team
- You can get involved with a number of conferences that we sponsor/ run/ host such as Women of Silicon Roundabout, Codebar, Rails Girls, Brighton/ Bath Ruby Conference and Ruby Hacknight
- You will be working with a smart, quality driven and collaborative team
- Tech is extremely important to us, one of our founders is the CTO who is very passionate about software engineering. He’ll always have the teams back
- You are exposed to the entire product development process, as an engineering manager you’ll have an opportunity to influence the entire product process
- We have challenging scalability and are growing everyday. Currently there are around 3 million visitors a month on average to the website - having grown from 2 million in the last 6 months!
- There’s lots to do; we are building tonnes of new features all the time and still defining what carwow is as a product, and we have ambitious plans for our engineering team to meet these demands!
- A brand new laptop — developers usually use Macbook Pros or Dell XPS 13s with their favourite flavour of Linux (feel free to ask for what allows you to do your job best)
- A budget towards peripherals and equipment (most of our developers end up getting mechanical keyboards with theirs)
- A competitive salary and equity in the company
- Private medical health insurance and subsidised gym membership
- Competitive maternity, paternity leave and return to work policy
- 26 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- A generous annual training budget for you to spend on your personal development
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- Monthly company-wide socials, Friday drinks, and an annual ski trip
- carwow fitness & well-being groups open to everyone in the office. These include activities such as yoga lessons, squash, football, and tennis
- A dog-friendly office in Victoria, with free refreshments and a variety of breakout spaces (let Mat Watson take you for a spin around our office here)
At carwow, we believe diversity of experience (whether that be personal or professional), contributes to a broader perspective and will lead to a more innovative company. We’re working hard to increase the diversity of our team and be more inclusive, so if you’re not sure you fit all of the requirements, why not get in touch? Above all, we’re looking for people with drive who share our company values (you can view them here).