carwow is the most convenient, stress-free way to find and buy a new car, at a price you can be confident in. carwow aims to solve the major pain points that buyers and dealers experience in the buying process, putting them in a more powerful position than ever before. Offering buyers crucial price confidence, a more convenient hassle free way to find and buy the car they want, and an altogether better buying experience. And it's great news for dealers too. Through carwow, our dealer partners sell more cars than they could in the showroom alone, while reducing cost inefficiencies and increasing stock turnover. This means they can pass on great prices to carwow buyers.
We have a number of new and exciting projects in the pipeline and need some smart developers who can come and help us with the upcoming technical challenges.
As a team, our mission is to create a technology driven company that enables our employees to use their skills to solve interesting problems and scale the product as the company grows.
To achieve this, we are looking to hire Junior Developers that are passionate about developing simple solutions for complex problems. Successful candidates will work as a Full stack Ruby Developer as part of one of the best small companies to work for in the UK.
Why should you join carwow?
- You will be pair programming from day 1 and learn from an extremely experienced team of developers from different backgrounds
- We work quickly and you’ll be able to have a direct impact on the product — pushing code to production within your first day
- You will be working with a company who are passionate about quality — TDD means a lot to us. Whilst delivery is important, we don’t sacrifice on quality
- We promote continuous learning and don’t pigeonhole our developers to just knowing Ruby, you will be able to attend conferences for techs such as Elm Europe, dotCSS / JS, Full Stack Fest and Strangeloop
- We care about being a happy and balanced team
- You can get involved with a number of conferences that we sponsor/ run/ host such as Brighton Ruby Conference, Ruby Hacknight, Codebar and London Elixir Dojo
- You will be working with a smart, quality driven and collaborative team
- Tech is extremely important to us, one of our founders is the CTO who is very passionate about software engineering. He’ll always have the teams back
- You are exposed to the entire product development process, allowing you to develop skills outside of software development
- We have challenging scalability and are growing everyday. Currently there are around 3 million visitors a month on average to the website - having grown from 2 million in the last 6 months!
- There’s lots to do; we are building tonnes of new features all the time and still defining what carwow is as a product
- Every Friday, the engineering team is given the freedom to take a break from the backlog and work on something of interest that contributes to the technical maturity and stability of our codebase - Backlog free Fridays
You should apply if:
- You can demonstrate a good understanding of web technologies
- You understand why testing software is useful, and try to write well tested code as much as possible
- You want to pair program with an experienced developer on a daily basis and continuously learn new things and best practices
- You enjoy challenges across the entire stack
- You have personal, professional or academic experience with a dynamic web-based programming language (e.g. Ruby, Python, or PHP)
- You care about software excellence
- You are pragmatic in your approach to writing software (e.g. you take context into consideration, and don’t follow rules blindly)
- You want to learn about software best practices such as refactoring, clean code, domain driven design, etc
- You enjoy working with others
- Our product teams are cross functional and typically consist of full stack developers, designers, PMs, and insight analysts
- The teams are focussed around reaching core objectives for the year. Some of our objectives for this year include: launching a leasing proposition, increasing sales of in-stock cars, increasing dealership groups engagement
We believe diversity of experience (whether that be personal or professional), contributes to a broader perspective and will lead to a better company with highly innovative products and solutions. We’re working hard to increase the diversity of our team and be more inclusive, so if you’re not sure you fit the criteria, why not get in touch? We value confidence whilst being humble, so are keen to meet those with talent who are the right fit.
- Want training? We’ve got weekly German language classes, presentation skills training, management training, yoga classes - we’re also teaching the rest of the company how to code!
- We also encourage people to attend and speak at conferences, we recently sponsored the Brighton Ruby Conference and we host the London Ruby Hacknight every month
- We run events such as London Elixir Dojo
- Competitive salary and you'll receive equity in the business
- 25 days holiday, a training budget and work from home 1 day a week
- A chance to work in a truly data-driven environment. We A/B test extensively and data is core to our decision making process
- Get to work with a highly experienced team on a high traffic site
- Continuous delivery - every push to master goes straight to production (assuming the tests have passed!)
- Your choice of hardware
- Regular team lunches, free fruit and fancy coffee on tap (and tea!)
- A sociable team with monthly office-wide events - check out our Instagram
- Friday wine/beers
- Netball, football, tennis and dodgeball teams