People and Culture Lead
At carwow, we’re aiming to create the best car-buying experience in the world. Buying a car is normally the 2nd biggest financial decision people face (after buying a house), and it’s a complex one. There are many issues people face throughout the process, and we aim to fix them.
We’re a driven, energetic startup with a team of 200+ based in London, Munich and Madrid. We are backed by some of Europe’s leading VCs and have raised over £48m in funding since we launched, so we’re growing fast. We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can make carwow better, so if you’re curious, motivated, and want to help us change the future of car buying, get in touch. It’s the chance to be at the start of something huge.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer and leading your own team of People Business Partners and People Ops Execs, you’ll be responsible for setting and delivering the people agenda to drive the next stage of our growth.
Areas of responsibility
- Culture – you'll build on our existing culture where trust, responsibility, growth and feedback is strong. You’re both a culture architect and contributor and you care deeply about weaving our vision, mission and values into our everyday life. You understand the value of internal communications and will be relentlessly creative in how to put this into action.
- Performance – you'll identify and implement how we should manage performance at carwow to allow people to be their very best at work. You’ll work with managers and leaders to identify the opportunities & obstacles to performance – at team and individual level. You’ll be passionate about coaching and mentoring our people, and helping them ‘pay it forward’ with their teams. You’re experienced in dealing with people issues in a kind and empathetic manner.
- Learning & Growth - you’ll shape and develop a full Learning and Development programme for both the senior team and all employees, driving growth and career progression in their role as well as personally. You’ll also be leading the thinking on what else we can be doing to inspire people to grow.
- People Operations - you’re organised and you get the value of having people ops processes work like clockwork. You won’t shy away from insisting that people stick to the People process and you’ll also optimise wherever you can.
- Organisational design – facilitate a 2-3 year organisational design and succession planning process.
- Pay & benefits - you’ll be excited to work alongside a Compensation and Benefits specialist in order to define the carwow compensation philosophy across 3 markets.
- Proven people experience - you’ll own the people strategy and have experience in introducing/enhancing people policies and approaches. Ideally, but not necessarily, you’ll have experience across a range of people functions and you’ll know all about the ‘growing pains’ of fast growth companies.
- All round commercial People generalist – an HR professional with experience across most areas of people processes, especially in business partnering, learning and development and managing change in rapid growth environments.
- Innovative and creative - you’ll build solutions to problems in a creative way that builds on agile thinking. You’ll also be super adaptable to business needs.
- Understands what a strong people culture looks like – you’re passionate about building a clear and actionable vision of what a great values-led, high-performance culture looks like. Building a diverse, inclusive environment is integral to you.
- Passion for people – you understand what makes people tick and how to motivate them. You’re passionate about putting it into action for carwow’ers and about building an empowered People team, too.
- Innate curiosity - you’ll constantly be asking ‘why?’ and challenging the team and our stakeholders on how we can make things better.
- A competitive salary and equity in the company
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays on top
- A generous annual training budget for you to spend on your personal development
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- Regular lunch & learn sessions with a wide range of external, inspiring speakers
- Monthly company-wide socials, Friday drinks, and whole company, international events (we’ve been skiing to Austria and France and hosted our very own carwow Olympics)
- carwow fitness and well-being groups open to everyone in the office. These include activities such as yoga lessons, squash, basketball, football, and tennis
- A dog-friendly office in Victoria, with free refreshments and a variety of breakout spaces - let Mat Watson take you for a spin around our office here
At carwow, we believe diversity of experience (whether that be personal or professional), contributes to a broader perspective and will lead to a more innovative company. We’re working hard to increase the diversity of our team and be more inclusive, so if you’re not sure you fit all of the requirements, why not get in touch? Above all, we’re looking for people with drive who share our company values (you can view them here).