Senior Product Designer - Design Systems
At carwow, we’re aiming to create the best car-buying experience in the world. Buying a car is normally the 2nd biggest financial decision people face (after buying a house), and it’s a complex one. There are many issues people face throughout the process, and we aim to fix them.
We’re a driven, energetic startup with a team of 200+ based in London, Munich and Madrid. We are backed by some of Europe’s leading VCs and have raised over £48m in funding since we launched, so we’re growing fast. We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can make carwow better, so if you’re curious, motivated, and want to help us change the future of car buying, get in touch. It’s the chance to be at the start of something huge.
carwow are looking for a talented Senior Product Designer to join our world-class product design team reporting into our Head of Design. As we scale we’re looking for someone to own our design system and work on standardizing tools, methods, and processes and making work as collaborative as possible across a number of fast-paced product teams.
What you’ll be doing
- Creating, maintaining and driving the vision of the carwow Design Language System across the website and mobile app platforms
- Increasing the efficiency, effectiveness and impact of designers and researchers, through design and implementation of tools, templates and working practices.
- Working with our Designers and Front End Engineers to foster cross-team collaboration and alignment, ensuring UI and Interaction best practices are applied
- Continuously evolving and developing our design processes and tooling
- Contributing to strengthening our creative and energetic work environment and culture, making sure we share failures, successes and lessons with each other and the outside world.
- Championing the importance of good design throughout the organisation
- Comfortable stepping in to provide hands-on design support during times of high demand
- Experience developing and building design systems
- Working within an Agile product team
- Comfortable working in collaboration with other designers and front-end developers
- Significant experience as a digital product designer, ideally 5+ years’ experience
- Experienced designing across multi-platforms; both responsive websites and mobile apps (Android and iOS platforms)
- Amazing attention to detail and a master of user interaction design
- Knowledgeable of UI design best practises - knows the rules and when to break them
- Confident at presenting to stakeholders and articulating complex ideas and design decisions
- Excellent skills with design and prototyping software (Sketch, InVision, AdobeCC)
- You are experienced at mentoring other designers in best practices. Especially with Junior members of the design team in producing UI work
- You are an empathetic and clear communicator who can adjust their style to suit multiple audiences and channels.
- Portfolio demonstrating the above qualities
For a successful application, the candidate must submit a portfolio, either as a PDF or personal website. The portfolio must show 3 to 4 pieces of work, the projects need to demonstrate that you have experience of designing for responsive website, mobile application and show the use of Design Language Styleguide.
- A competitive salary and equity in the company
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays on top
- A generous annual training budget for you to spend on your personal development
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- Regular lunch & learn sessions with a wide range of external, inspiring speakers
- Monthly company-wide socials, Friday drinks, and whole company, international events (we’ve been skiing to Austria and France and hosted our very own carwow Olympics)
- carwow fitness and well-being groups open to everyone in the office. These include activities such as yoga lessons, squash, football, and tennis
- A dog-friendly office in Victoria, with free refreshments and a variety of breakout spaces - let Mat Watson take you for a spin around our office here
At carwow, we believe diversity of experience (whether that be personal or professional), contributes to a broader perspective and will lead to a more innovative company. We’re working hard to increase the diversity of our team and be more inclusive, so if you’re not sure you fit all of the requirements, why not get in touch? Above all, we’re looking for people with drive who share our company values (you can view them here).