Head of Performance Marketing
At carwow, we’re aiming to create the best car-buying experience in the world. Buying a car is normally the 2nd biggest financial decision people face (after buying a house), and it’s a complex one. There are many issues people face throughout the process, and we aim to fix them.
We’re a driven, energetic startup with a team of 200+ based in London, Munich and Madrid. We are backed by some of Europe’s leading VCs and have raised over £48m in funding since we launched, so we’re growing fast. We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can make carwow better, so if you’re curious, motivated, and want to help us change the future of car buying, get in touch. It’s the chance to be at the start of something huge.
We're looking for a Head of Performance Marketing to be responsible for the growth and optimisation of our Paid Search activity. This will include both hands-on daily optimisation of campaigns, as well as providing more top level strategic direction including analysing data, running tests, collaborating on projects and identifying opportunities to improve and scale performance. Paid Search is a huge volume driver for carwow. We’re proud of our PPC account and we work closely with our Marketing, Data Science and Trading teams to ensure we’re always optimising and innovating.
Saying this, there is a huge opportunity to test and grow so you won’t be short of opportunities to make your mark on the future of the business as a whole. The successful candidate will be highly analytical with a proven track record of making data-driven decisions in a fast-paced client-side environment. We want a superstar, and in return we’ll offer you a friendly environment that is genuinely data-focused and on top of cutting-edge trends in the market.
carwow operates in the UK, Germany and - more recently - Spain and, as such, a key part of the role will include ensuring we are a global PPC team, using best practices across all countries.
As Head of Performance Marketing your duties will include:
- Managing performance marketing channels (PPC, display/programmatic, paid social, video) across carwow, including strategy, planning, tracking, reporting, analysis and optimisation to ensure delivery against specific KPIs across all markets
- Identifying opportunities to improve and scale performance via a mix of new techniques and efficiency gains as well as having a big input on our attribution methodology
- Work with the development and product teams to help with any A/B tests where appropriate as well as coming up with ideas on how we can make things better
- Helping to refine our bid management approach across all channels, with a focus on both new users and reactivating existing ones
- Work with the wider marketing, trading and data teams on strategy, forecasting and messaging, including developing country-specific search strategies
- Working closely with our Google and Bing account managers to ensure we’re constantly testing new betas and are at the forefront of Paid Search.
- Hands-on PPC experience (ideally 5+ years) and a proven track record in running successful search campaigns, ideally in a marketplace, e-commerce or travel company (international experience strongly desirable)
- Significant experience of managing and assessing other performance channels (at least 2 of: GDN, Facebook, programmatic display, performance-driven VOD) with the opportunity to develop broader experience within the role
- Must have worked client-side for at least a couple of years with experience of communicating with all levels of the business
- Highly analytical, inquisitive and target driven with the proven ability to deliver ROI from performance marketing channels
- Thorough understanding of Bid Management tools and experience of setting a successful bid management strategy
- Knowledge of conversion paths (particularly long and complicated paths to conversion!) and how they work as part of a PPC/performance strategy
- Cutting-edge knowledge of audience-based bidding strategies
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Experience in managing at least six figure monthly budgets
- Experience in managing, challenging and developing a team
- Technically minded with strong knowledge of tagging, tracking and attribution
- Highly motivated, self-starter with a positive outlook and a friendly attitude
- Passion for excellence and constantly looking for ways to improve
- Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management and planning skills
- Good at absorbing large amounts of information, with a general hunger for learning
- Innovative and creative, with a concise, precise and effective approach to problem solving.
Nice to haves:
- Numerical based degree (Maths, Physics, Economics etc..)
- SQL knowledge (or Python/R for extra brownie points)
- Fluent in other languages
- Having an interest in cars is not a requirement.
You’re proactive and data-centric, constantly curious with an eye on always making things better. You should enjoy getting stuck into the detail of your accounts and be comfortable with managing the day-to-day running of them whilst still maintaining a focus on the bigger picture. There’ll be lots of things to get stuck into, so skills in prioritising and having a diligent, positive attitude will get you far. You should be obsessed with your numbers and have a laser focus on CPCs, CTRs, CVRs, CPLs, CPAs and LTVs, while always looking to innovate and improve performance.
We believe diversity of experience (whether that be personal or professional), contributes to a broader perspective and will lead to a better company with highly innovative products and solutions. We’re working hard to increase the diversity of our team and be more inclusive, so if you’re not sure you fit the criteria, why not get in touch? We value confidence whilst being humble, so are keen to meet those with talent who will add value to our team.
- A competitive salary and equity in the company
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays on top
- A generous annual training budget for you to spend on your personal development
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- Regular lunch & learn sessions with a wide range of external, inspiring speakers
- Monthly company-wide socials, Friday drinks, and whole company, international events (we’ve been skiing to Austria and France and hosted our very own carwow Olympics)
- carwow fitness and well-being groups open to everyone in the office. These include activities such as yoga lessons, squash, football, and tennis
- A dog-friendly office in Victoria, with free refreshments and a variety of breakout spaces - let Mat Watson take you for a spin around our office here
At carwow, we believe diversity of experience (whether that be personal or professional), contributes to a broader perspective and will lead to a more innovative company. We’re working hard to increase the diversity of our team and be more inclusive, so if you’re not sure you fit all of the requirements, why not get in touch? Above all, we’re looking for people with drive who share our company values (you can view them here).